The Phoenix Mercury and Chicago Sky have the biggest budding rivalry in women’s basketball after an ultra-competitive four-game series saw Candace Parker’s team contain the biggest scoring threat of all-time in Diana Taurasi. There’s a broken door to prove it.
Let’s review all of the top moments from the Sky’s first championship win in franchise history in chronological order.
1. Brittney Griner threw down the first dunk in WNBA Finals history
Griner showed out all series — and season — long, flushing down this one-handed dunk. The 6-foot-9 center had a career year. She’ll be back.
2. Devin Booker’s digital camera made its TV debut
Booker had a Kris Jenner moment postgame, bringing out his digital camera to take pictures of Diana Taurasi. Sure, it turned out this camera is actually super expensive, but in the moment it was funny as hell!
3. The Kahleah Copper and Sophie Cunningham beef
4. Courtney Vandersloot’s dagger
Game 4 could’ve gone either way, but the Sky showed their composure to close out the fourth quarter. Vandersloot had a nifty spin move in the paint to give her space to shoot this short fade and take the game.
5. Candace Parker teared up before the series even ended
A lot of players go home and promise they’ll win a ring. Few achieve it, and even fewer get there in Year 1. What a moment for the legend.
6. Kahleah Copper “worked so [bleeping] hard”
She sure did. The Finals MVP dropped an F-bomb on national TV to explain to us how she got to this point in her career. Iconic moment!
7. Diana Taurasi (allegedly) broke a door
Taurasi congratulated the Sky after their win but was clearly frustrated all series, and reportedly took that energy out on a locker room door, according to The Next. More on this later.
8. The Phoenix Mercury players didn’t do postgame interviews after their loss
The Mercury did hold interviews the following day, but were fined $10,000 as a team for breaking the league rule the night of Game 4.
9. The Sky brought Taurasi’s alleged broken door to their championship parade
An ALL-TIME petty move. My goodness. They want this rivalry to stay and they’re sure to get their wish.