Our first full week of WNBA play is over and the standings look absolutely nothing like we had imagined. Of course, players are still making their way back from overseas and we’re probably a week or two away from seeing teams at full strength.
But let’s have fun with this one anyway.
1. Mystics, 3-1 (🏆 odds: +1000, bet $100 to win $1,000)
The loss to the Wings stings but it came as Natasha Cloud sat due to Covid-19, and Alysha Clark had just made her franchise debut. This team is still damn good and it’s going to get even better.
2. Aces, 3-1 (🏆 odds: +275, bet $100 to win $275)
The blowout loss to the Mystics was bizarre, but probably more an outlier than a symptom of anything. Vegas has it.
3. Sky, 2-1 (🏆 odds: +600, bet $100 to win $600)
Welcome back Allie Quigley, but we’re still waiting on Finals MVP Kahleah Copper. Hasn’t mattered too much yet, though. They’ve got the best net rating in the league. They’ll get even scarier soon.
4. Sun, 1-1 (🏆 odds: +450, bet $100 to win $450)
DeWanna Bonner and Courtney Williams are set to return this week, but luckily in the interim Alyssa Thomas has looked All-Star-worthy.
5. Mercury, 2-1 (🏆 odds: +600, bet $100 to win $600)
They got lucky to play the Storm without Breanna Stewart (health and safety protocols), but Diana Taurasi is still Diana Taurasi and Brianna Turner is a star in her role.
6. Dream, 3-1 (🏆 odds: +8000, bet $100 to win $8,000)
Rhyne Howard. Superstar. This team would be the biggest playoff surprise if they keep this up, but to be fair to the other teams in this power rankings, they’ve had a softer schedule to start the season.
7. Storm, 1-3 (🏆 odds: +500, bet $100 to win $500)
I’m not taking too much stock in their 1-3 start because Stewie and Epiphanny Prince were sidelined to Covid-19 for two games. They’ll be ok.
8. Wings, 2-1 (🏆 odds: +4500, bet $100 to win $4,500)
Arike Ogunbowale really found her rhythm against Washington. When Satou Sabally comes back, they’re going to fight for a playoff spot.
9. Sparks, 2-2 (🏆 odds: +2000, bet $100 to win $2,000)
Wins against the Sky and Fever, a big loss to the Sun and an upset L at the hands of the Dream. I’m not sure how to judge them yet.
10. Liberty, 1-3 (🏆 odds: +2500, bet $100 to win $2,500)
A blowout loss to the short-handed Sky, a double-digit L to the Wings and an overtime loss to the Fever… Yikes.
11. Fever, 2-3 (🏆 odds: +10000, bet $100 to win $10,000)
My favorite not-very-good team has a lot to be happy about. These rookies are legit.
12. Lynx, 0-4 (🏆 odds: +1500, bet $100 to win $1,500)
Ew. I hope Kayla McBride’s return is the fix.