If there’s one word to describe this season of the W it is, once again, parity. There are legitimate cases for half the league to win it all, and I’ll whip up a list of a half-dozen players who have a clear path to winning MVP. I’ll rank my choices and provide odds derived from various sportsbooks since no one place has everything
Here’s my it’s-so-early-please-don’t-get-mad power rankings:
1. Chicago Sky at +600 (bet $100 to win $600)
The Sky surprised everyone as a .500 team that won the championship, but they’re back, and, maybe better than ever? They lost contributors Diamond DeShields and Stefanie Dolson, but added Finals MVP Emma Meesseman. Lol.
2. Seattle Storm at +500 (bet $100 to win $500)
Breanna Stewart, Jewell Loyd and Sue Bird. Enough said.
3. Connecticut Sun at +450 (bet $100 to win $450)
I want to believe that this team can get over the hump and win already. Jonquel Jones is that good and bringing Courtney Williams back should be a game changer.
4. Las Vegas Aces at +350 (bet $100 to win $350)
Vegas wasn’t able to land a splashy free agent, but could see addition by subtraction. Liz Cambage and Bill Laimbeer are both awesome, but clearly the fit wasn’t there. A’ja Wilson could be in for her best season yet with Becky Hammon leading the team.
5. Washington Mystics at +1500 (bet $100 to win $1,500)
IF Elena Delle Donne can stay healthy, and Alysha Clark can play at a fraction of the level she was in Seattle, the Mystics are a big-time sleeper.
6. Phoenix Mercury at +450 (bet $100 to win $450)
With Brittney Griner’s status uncertain, the Mercury’s path to success is a lot less clear. If I’m proven wrong, it’s because Tina Charles is able to replicate her stellar start to last season and mesh with Skylar Diggins-Smith and Diana Taurasi immediately.
7. Minnesota Lynx at +800 (bet $100 to win $800)
If Napheesa Collier doesn’t play at all this season, winning it all will be tough. But Sylvia Fowles is gonna try her damn best.
8. New York Liberty at +1800 (bet $100 to win $1,800)
The Liberty — and my next choice at No. 9 — are the two wild card teams to me that wouldn’t totally surprise if they way over or under-performed middle-of-the-road expectations. New York is talented, but is the group on young stars another year away from being ready?
9. Los Angeles Sparks at +3000 (bet $100 to win $3,000)
With Liz Cambage and Chennedy Carter in town to supplement Nneka Ogwumike’s talents, anything is possible!?!
10. Dallas Wings at +5000 (bet $100 to win $5,000)
It’s another big development year in Dallas. Making the playoffs has to be the goal. They took a home run swing moving for Teaira McCowan. Now her, Satou Sabally and Arike Ogunbowale have to find success.
11. Atlanta Dream at +10000 (bet $100 to win $10,000)
No. 1 pick Rhyne Howard is here, and she needs to see unlimited touches this season. Atlanta is figuring out its identity, and her development is priority one.
12. Indiana Fever at +20000 (bet $100 to win $20,000)
Let the rookies run free! Expectations are low in Indy, let’s just see what the kids can do.
1. A’ja Wilson at +300 (bet $100 to win $300)
The paint is Wilson’s, and a new-look Aces offense could benefit the 2020 MVP most.
2. Breanna Stewart at +500 (bet $100 to win $500)
It’s Sue’s (probably?) final ride, and Stewie may be the best player on Earth.
3. Jonquel Jones at +430 (bet $100 to win $430)
Last year’s MVP is a repeat candidate because, well, nobody her size can do what she does at 6’6.
4. Sylvia Fowles at +2000 (bet $100 to win $2,000)
Fowles’ last go won’t be a sobfest. She’s ready to win, and without Napheesa Collier, she’ll get even more touches on offense.
5. Candace Parker at +1400 (bet $100 to win $1,400)
There’s a real chance this team repeats as champs, and CP3’s all-around game is well suited for another (her third) MVP award.
6. Tina Charles at +1400 (bet $100 to win 1,400)
Charles was a favorite for MVP last year, but Washington didn’t win enough. In Phoenix, she won’t have that problem.